A great option for a meatless monday
As part of an endeavour to reduce our food bill, I implemented meatless monday in our household. I one night when the fridge was bare and there were only few essentials in the pantry I stumbled across the recipe on the food network website and adapted it to what I had stock of.
2 tsps oil
1 large onion, medium diced
3-4 cloves garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 heaping teaspoon sweet paprika
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
300-500mls vegetable stock or reduced-sodium chicken broth or to enough to cover chickpeas
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Chopped green beans (add as many as you wish)
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions begin to turn translucent; lower heat if browning starts to occur.
2. Add spices and saute a minute or so. Add tomatoes, chickpeas and broth. Season with a couple pinches of salt and 10 grinds fresh pepper. Stir well. Chickpeas should be just covered with liquid. If level is shy, add some water so the chickpeas are just covered.
3. Bring to a simmer, then lower heat to low and gently simmer for 45 minutes. I added the green beans with 10 minutes of cooking remaining.
4. Remove soup from heat. Use a potato masher to mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot.
5. Season again, to taste, with salt and pepper.
6. Serve soup
Hope you enjoy it